INTERNET LISTING OF HESSIAN|
SOLDIERS OF THE REVOLUTION
The British purchased the services of 30,000 German Soldiers for
$150,000, all of which went into the royal coffers of the German
princes. These troops came from Hesse Cassel, Hesse Hanau,
Brunswick, Anspach, Bayreuth, Anhalt Zerbst and Waldeck.
Place Number sent Number not returned home
Hesse Cassel 16,992 6,500
Hesse Hannau 2,422 981
Brunswick 5,723 3,015
Anspach - Bayreuth 2,553 1,178
Anhalt Zerbst 1,152 168
Waldeck 1,225 720
Total sent was 30,067 from 1776 to 1782; 12,562 did not return...
7,754 dead and 4,808 remained in America...
All are generally referred to as "Hessians" because of their large
numbers. Also, their General Knypyhausen was commander of the entire
German force which contributed to the common reference to "Hessian
Edmund Maul has given me permission to publish his article,
"Nicholaus Schilling, A Hessian Grenadier".
Besides being interesting reading, it gives a good timeline for some battles;
also, his sources may be helpful if you are in search of your ancestor
that was a Hessian Soldier.
Click here to see a Hessian Soldier Reenactment photo
Ed has another interesting story about his cousin who was a
World War II Soldier
"IN REMEMBERENCE OF WILHELM MAUL"
A photo of Wilhelm Maul is now a part of this site
If you are researching your Hessen ancestry, you should visit Don Watson's
WORLD GENWEB SITE FOR HESSEN, GERMANY
Besides a large query database of others researching, there is a vast amount of pertinent research information & history, much more than I have room to list.
SITES WITH INFORMATION ABOUT HESSIAN SOLDIERS
- JOHANNES SCHWALM HISTORICAL SOCIETY
- JSHA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to researching those German auxiliary troops (generically called Hessian) who
remained in America after the Revolutionary War, became loyal citizens, made cultural contributions and were the progenitors
of any thousands of Americans living today.
- THE HESSIANS
- Links, Books & Info - Best Site I've Found So Far On The Net
- HESSE-KASSEL JAEGERS KORPS
- Hesse-Kassel Jäger Korps 1775-1781 Information
- HESSIANS DOC
- Includes A Bibliography With Helpful Resource Information
- HESSIAN FAQ
- Answers Most Questions That Hessian Reinactors Are Asked & Those They Would Have Liked To Have Asked
- IGS HESSE & HESSIAN SEARCHES
- Hessian Soldiers In Hesse & America
- MURAL AT LIBRARY IN SAN FRANCISCO, CA
- Surrender of a Hessian Mercenary During the Revolution
If you have an ancestor that was a Hessian Soldier
to add his story to this site
or if you have a query you would like to post
Please e-mail me and
put "Hessian Soldier"
in the subject line..Thank you
This page has been visited times since May 2000
when Tripod/Lycos reset all the counters
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE